We've all been there; we come in from working outside and everyone is hungry. You open the pantry door and you don't have a clue what to make. To you it looks like nothing but I have a few tricks I have learned from living where there isn't a store right down the road. We plan ahead because it can be a couple of weeks or even a month before you can make it to town again. I have learned from my Mother and my Grandmother how to make something from just about nothing and stretch what you have. I hope it helps!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Hamburger Gravy
When the girls were young the money was a little more scarce at our house. God always blessed Todd with an elk and deer to put in the freezer, so we had alot of elk Burger. I soon found many ways to use elk burger.

One of our fast favorites was Hamburger Gravy.


We always had the butcher add beef suet to the elk burger it really helped it from being so dry, and it really brought out the taste of the elk.

My husband's dad taught him and his brother how to take real good care of their game and it has always paid off. I cannot remember a time we had an Elk or Deer that tasted so gamey you couldn't stand to eat it.

I learned from my mom how important it is to always keep meat, potatoes and as much fresh and canned vegetables on hand. That seems to be the main staples for most men and hard working girls.


I always browned my hamburger or elk burger slowly, this usually gave us enough time for a practice in the arena and then time to do chores.

To the browned hamburger add 10 large fresh mushroom diced, some diced onion, and salt and pepper.
then add 1 large can of cream of mushroom soup and enough milk to make it a smooth gravy, after the mixture comes to a boil I like to add 1 can of drained green beans. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles. Wa-la!

No comments:

Post a Comment